[all][stable][ptl] Propose to EOL Rocky series

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Feb 14 18:31:47 UTC 2023

On 2/10/23 18:26, Elõd Illés wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for all the feedbacks from teams so far!
>
> @Zigo: Extended Maintenance process was created just for the same
> situation: to give space to interested parties to cooperate and keep
> things maintained even when stable releases are over their 'supported'
> lifetime. So it's good to see that there is interest in it!
> Unfortunately, with very old branches we've reached the state where
> gates can't be maintained and without a functional gate it's not safe to
> merge patches (yes, even security fixes) and they are just using
> resources (CI & maintainers' time). When gate is broken in such extent,
> then i think the community have to accept that it is not possible to
> merge patches confidently and needs to EOL that release.

That's where I don't agree. There are ways, outside of the OpenStack
gate, to test things, in such ways that merging patches there can be a
thing.

> Another aspect is that code cannot be cleaned up until those old
> branches are still present (CI jobs, project configurations, etc) which
> gives pain for developers.

Just disable gating completely then.

> So, however some vendors would appreciate probably to keep things open
> forever, for the community this is not beneficial and doable I think.

I don't agree. We need a place to share patches between distros. The
official Git feels like the natural place to do so, even without any
type of gating.

BTW, my Nova patches for CVE-2022-47951 in Rocky, Stein & Train are
currently wrong and need another approach. I was thinking about simply
disabling .vmdk altogether (rather than having a complicated code to
check for the VMDK subtype). I wonder what other distros did. Where do I
disucss this?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)