[ALL] Why we dont have an official forum?

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Wed Feb 1 21:39:20 UTC 2023

65;7002;1cOn Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 07:21:06PM -0500, Michael Knox wrote:
> I would be happy to contribute and maintain. If that's the ask.

One excellent thing about OpenDev is that you don't have to ask or get
permission!  You do have to build consensus between people -- but we
have what I believe is the most open infrastructure system of any
project which gives you all the tools you need to do that.

You will need a high level of understanding of Zuul job configuration,
Ansible, containerisation and general sysadmin-y things.  There is a
basic description at [1], but I would probably just suggest starting
with one of the more simple services like codesearch [2]; start by
following the playbooks and seeing how that is put together.

There is someone in #opendev ~24 hours a day that can help answer
questions.

You can use this to completely proof-of-concept any service you like
with no permission from anyone.  Every major service is already in
there as examples.

Of course, for final submission it will need to be reviewed, and a
large part of the review criteria from the other admins is "once we
accept this, we're all on the hook for maintaining it".

If I were interested in this, I would probably start by building up a
minimal-viable-product in a speculative Zuul change, to validate to
myself that the software stack of interest was practical to
containerise and deploy alongside everything else.

I would then point to that, saying "this is my idea, and here's
roughly how it works, what do you think" and that would make a pretty
good starting point for discussion about "do we want this", "will this
get used" and "can we maintain this".

Assuming a positive response, you can start production things like
proper testing, integrating with testing, writing some documentation,
etc. and ask for technical reviews from core members.

Assuming negative responses, which is a possibility, you'll need to
get people on board.  I would start softly with meeting agenda points
at the weekly infra meeting [3] where we can discuss things.  If
consensus is unclear, it might be that we need to go through a formal
spec process [4] to get agreement on the details.

We have ways individuals can contribute to production services without
needing to commit to be super-users.  For example, we can accept your
gpg key so you can access the production deployment logs for services
you're interested in, and in some cases provide ways to access shell
sessions on production hosts for ad-hoc debugging.

-i

[1] https://docs.opendev.org/opendev/system-config/latest/open-infrastructure.html
[2] https://opendev.org/opendev/system-config/src/commit/ed14a9805b96a9a589012db62c3dbe489437831f/zuul.d/system-config-run.yaml#L613
[3] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/InfraTeamMeeting