[ALL] Why we dont have an official forum?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Feb 1 21:28:18 UTC 2023

On 2023-02-01 16:03:14 -0500 (-0500), Michael Knox wrote:
> All good, Jermey, I was just offering to add support/help. I work
> for an Openstack company here in Canada, just putting my hand up
> to help out :)

As I said, it's appreciated. What we're mainly lacking is people
willing to help run and administer the systems our community already
relies on, so the suggestion of adding more needs to come with clear
responsibilities and commitments for long-term maintenance.

> I don't see a cohesive end user/community "home", I could be wrong
> and happy to be if I am not seeing it. IRC is problematic in that
> it requires a persistent connection, there is no "record" if you
> are disconnected, for you to see an answer to your question, for
> example.

I agree it can be troublesome for people who weren't steeped in IRC
since the dawn of the Internet. I've seen lots of folks having a
positive experience with Matrix as a more modern successor to IRC.
The federated Matrix network includes bridges to popular IRC
networks, including OFTC where the OpenStack community's channels
reside. If you have a Matrix account, you can join OpenStack
channels through the OFTC bridge and automatically get persistence
and history, as well as things people expect out of newer chat
platforms like embedded media sharing, emojis, reactions, and so on.

I personally consider this very mailing list (openstack-discuss) as
the de facto home for the project however. It's where the OpenStack
TC mandates governance decisions be mulled over before approving,
where team leads publish summaries of in-person interactions, where
we announce meetings and gatherings and pretty much everything else,
and also where you're free to ask for help and are most likely to
get useful suggestions in return.

> Perhaps I can ask you, is the current system working? If so, I
> will pop back into my box.

Nothing is ever perfect, and I welcome ideas for improving what we
have. I just worry when people suggest doing what we've already
tried multiple times and found didn't work.
--
Jeremy Stanley