OpenStack cluster event notification

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 23:32:51 UTC 2020

Greetings!

Unfortunately, I don't know the eventing context outside of ironic's
ability to emit them, but I'll try my best to answer questions with my
context.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 1:02 AM Anil Jangam <anilj.mailing at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> So far, based on my understanding of OpenStack Python SDK, I am able to read the Hypervisor, Servers instances, however, I do not see an API to receive and handle the change notification/events for the operations that happens on the cluster e.g. A new VM is added, an existing VM is deleted etc.
>
> I see a documentation, which talks about emitting notifications over a message bus that indicate different events that occur within the service.
>
> Notifications in OpenStack
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/ironic/latest/admin/notifications.html

I suspect you may also find
https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/reference/notifications.html
useful.

> Does Openstack Python SDK support notification APIs?

I'm going to guess the answer is no to this.

As you noted earlier, the notifications are emitted to the message
bus. These notifications can be read by a subscriber to the message
bus itself, but this also means that the bus is directly connected to
by some sort of messaging client. The Python SDK is intended for
developers to use to leverage the REST APIs offered by services and
components, not the message bus.

> How do I receive/monitor notifications for VM related changes?
> How do I receive/monitor notifications for compute/hypervisor related changes?
> How do I receive/monitor notifications for Virtual Switch related changes?

I think what you are looking for is ceilometer.

https://docs.openstack.org/ceilometer/latest/admin/telemetry-data-collection.html#notifications

Although that being said, I don't think much would really prevent you
from consuming the notifications directly from the message bus, if you
so desire. Maybe someone already has some code for this on hand.

> Thanks in advance for any help in this regard.

Hope this helped.

> /anil.

-Julia