[placement][ptl][tc] Call for Placement PTL position

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Sep 5 16:20:39 UTC 2019

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:

> With Ussuri Cycle PTL election completed, we left with Placement project as leaderless[1].
> In today TC meeting[2], we discussed the few possibilities and decided to reach out to the
> eligible candidates to serve the PTL position.

Thanks for being concerned about this, but it would have been useful
if you included me (as the current PTL) and the rest of the
Placement team in the discussion or at least confirmed plans with me
before starting this seek-volunteers process.

There are a few open questions we are still trying to resolve
before we should jump to any decisions:

* We are currently waiting to see if Tetsuro is available (he's been
   away for a few days). If he is, he'll be great, but we don't know
   yet if he can or wants to.

* We've started, informally, discussing the option of pioneering the
   option of leaderless projects within Placement (we pioneer many
   other things there, may as well add that to the list) but without
   more discussion from the whole team (which can't happen because we
   don't have quorum of the actively involved people) and the TC it's
   premature. Leaderless would essentially mean consensually
   designating release liaisons and similar roles but no specific
   PTL. I think this is easily possible in a small in number,
   focused, and small feature-queue [1] group like Placement but
   would much harder in one of the larger groups like Nova.

* We have several reluctant people who _can_ do it, but don't want
   to. Once we've explored the other ideas here and any others we can
   come up with, we can dredge one of those people up as a stand-in
   PTL, keeping the slot open. Because of [1] there's not much on the
   agenda for U.

Since the Placement team is not planning to have an active presence
at the PTG, nor planning to have much of a pre-PTG (as no one has
stepped up with any feature ideas) we have some days or even weeks
before it matters who the next PTL (if any) is, so if possible,
let's not rush this.

[1] It's been a design goal of mine from the start that Placement
would quickly reach a position of stability and maturity that I
liked to call "being done". By the end of Train we are expecting to
be feature complete for any features that have been actively
discussed in the recent past [2]. The main tasks in U will be
responding to bug fixes and requests-for-explanations for the
features that already exist (because people asked for them) but are
not being used yet and getting the osc-placement client caught up.

[2] The biggest thing that has been discussed as a "maybe we should
do" for which there are no immediate plans is "resource provider
sharding" or "one placement, many clouds". That's a thing we
imagined people might ask for, but haven't yet, so there's little
point doing it.

freenode: cdent