[placement][ptl][tc] Call for Placement PTL position

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Sep 6 00:26:13 UTC 2019

 ---- On Fri, 06 Sep 2019 01:20:39 +0900 Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org> wrote ----
 > On Fri, 6 Sep 2019, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
 >
 > > With Ussuri Cycle PTL election completed, we left with Placement project as leaderless[1].
 > > In today TC meeting[2], we discussed the few possibilities and decided to reach out to the
 > > eligible candidates to serve the PTL position.
 >
 > Thanks for being concerned about this, but it would have been useful
 > if you included me (as the current PTL) and the rest of the
 > Placement team in the discussion or at least confirmed plans with me
 > before starting this seek-volunteers process.
 >
 > There are a few open questions we are still trying to resolve
 > before we should jump to any decisions:
 >
 > * We are currently waiting to see if Tetsuro is available (he's been
 >    away for a few days). If he is, he'll be great, but we don't know
 >    yet if he can or wants to.

Thanks Chris. we discussed it in yesterday TC meeting and there is no
hurry or leaving placement team away from the discussion. You as Train PTL
and other placement members are the only ones to decide and help to select
the right candidate.

I am also waiting to hear from Tetsuro about his planning.

 > * We've started, informally, discussing the option of pioneering the
 >    option of leaderless projects within Placement (we pioneer many
 >    other things there, may as well add that to the list) but without
 >    more discussion from the whole team (which can't happen because we
 >    don't have quorum of the actively involved people) and the TC it's
 >    premature. Leaderless would essentially mean consensually
 >    designating release liaisons and similar roles but no specific
 >    PTL. I think this is easily possible in a small in number,
 >    focused, and small feature-queue [1] group like Placement but
 >    would much harder in one of the larger groups like Nova.

This is an interesting idea and needs more discussions seems. I am not against
of Leaderless project approach with right point of contacts for TC/release team etc but
this is going to be the new process under current governance. Because there are
other projects (winstackers and PowerVMStackers in U) are in the queue of being removed
from governance because continuously lacking the leader since a couple of cycles.
So if we go for Leaderless approach then, those projects should be removed based
on general-in-active projects not because of no PTL.

Anyways IMO, let's first check all possibility if anyone from placement team (or nova
as it is an almost same team) can serve as PTL. If no then we discuss about your idea.

-gmann