[placement] update 19-27

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri Jul 12 10:00:01 UTC 2019

HTML: https://anticdent.org/placement-update-19-27.html

Pupdate 19-27 is here and now.

# Most Important

Of the features we planned to do this cycle, all are done save one:
consumer types (in progress, see below). This means we have a good
opportunity to focus on documentation, performance, and improving
the codebase for maintainability. You do not need permission to work
on these things. If you find a problem and know how to fix it, fix
it. If you are not sure about the solution, please discuss it on
this email list or in the `#openstack-placement` IRC channel.

This also means we're in a good position to help review changes that
use placement in other projects.

The Foundation needs to know how much, if any, Placement time will
be needed in Shanghai. I started a
[thread](http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-July/007654.html)
and an
[etherpad](https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/placement-shanghai-ptg).

# What's Changed

* The `same_subtree` query parameter has merged as [microversion
   1.36](https://docs.openstack.org/placement/latest/placement-api-microversion-history.html#support-same-subtree-queryparam-on-get-allocation-candidates).
   This enables a form of nested provider affinity: "these providers
   must all share the same ancestor".

* The placement projects have been updated (pending merge) to match
   the [Python 3 test runtimes for
   Train](https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/train/python3-updates.html)
   community wide goal. Since the projects have been Python3-enabled
   from the start, this was mostly a matter of aligning configurations
   with community-wide norms. When Python 3.8 becomes available we
   should get on that sooner than later to catch issues early.

# Specs/Features

All placement specs have merged. Thanks to everyone for the frequent
reviews and quick followups.

Some non-placement specs are listed in the Other section below.

# Stories/Bugs

(Numbers in () are the change since the last pupdate.)

There are 23 (0) stories in [the placement
group](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project_group/placement).
0 (0) are [untagged](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/worklist/580).
3 (1) are [bugs](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/worklist/574). 5 (0)
are [cleanups](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/worklist/575). 11
(0) are [rfes](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/worklist/594).
4 (0) are [docs](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/worklist/637).

If you're interested in helping out with placement, those stories
are good places to look.

* Placement related nova [bugs not yet in progress](https://goo.gl/TgiPXb)
   on launchpad: 16 (0).

* Placement related nova [in progress bugs](https://goo.gl/vzGGDQ) on
   launchpad: 4 (0).

# osc-placement

osc-placement is currently behind by 11 microversions.

* <https://review.opendev.org/666542>
   Add support for multiple member_of. This is stuck and needs input
   from users of the tool.

# Main Themes

## Consumer Types

Adding a type to consumers will allow them to be grouped for various
purposes, including quota accounting.

* <https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:bp/support-consumer-types>
   This is currently the migration to add the necessary table and
   column.

## Cleanup

Cleanup is an overarching theme related to improving documentation,
performance and the maintainability of the code. The changes we are
making this cycle are fairly complex to use and are fairly complex
to write, so it is good that we're going to have plenty of time to
clean and clarify all these things.

As mentioned last week, one of the important cleanup tasks that is not
yet in progress is updating the
[gabbit](https://opendev.org/openstack/placement/src/branch/master/gate/gabbits/nested-perfload.yaml)
that creates the nested topology that's used in nested performance
testing. The topology there is simple, unrealistic, and doesn't
sufficiently exercise the several features that may be used during a
query that desires a nested response. This needs to be someone who
is more closely related to real world use of nested than me. efried?
gibi?

Another cleanup that needs to start is satisfying the community wide
goal of [PDF doc
generation](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2006110).
Anyone know if there is a cookbook for this?

# Other Placement

Miscellaneous changes can be found in [the usual
place](https://review.opendev.org/#/q/project:openstack/placement+status:open).

There are three [os-traits
changes](https://review.opendev.org/#/q/project:openstack/os-traits+status:open)
being discussed. And one [os-resource-classes
change](https://review.opendev.org/#/q/project:openstack/os-resource-classes+status:open).

# Other Service Users

New discoveries are added to the end. Merged stuff is removed.
Anything that has had no activity in 4 weeks has been removed.

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1819923>
   Nova: nova-manage: heal port allocations

* <https://review.openstack.org/650188>
   nova-spec: Allow compute nodes to use DISK_GB from shared storage RP

* <https://review.opendev.org/659233>
   Cyborg: Placement report

* <https://review.opendev.org/662229>
   helm: add placement chart

* <https://review.opendev.org/656023>
   Nova: Use OpenStack SDK for placement

* <https://review.opendev.org/612497>
   Nova: Spec: Provider config YAML file

* <https://review.opendev.org/634551>
   libvirt: report pmem namespaces resources by provider tree

* <https://review.opendev.org/660852>
   Nova: Remove PlacementAPIConnectFailure handling from AggregateAPI

* <https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:bp/support-move-ops-with-qos-ports>
   Nova: support move ops with qos ports

* <https://review.opendev.org/664689>
   Nova: get_ksa_adapter: nix by-service-type confgrp hack

* <https://review.opendev.org/664862>
   OSA: Add nova placement to placement migration

* <https://review.opendev.org/657796>
   Nova: Defaults missing group_policy to 'none'

* <https://review.opendev.org/666202>
   Blazar: Create placement client for each request

* <https://review.opendev.org/669309>
   tempest: Define the Integrated-gate-placement gate template

* <https://review.opendev.org/668263>
   Nova: Restore RT.old_resources if ComputeNode.save() fails

* <https://review.opendev.org/667952>
   nova: Support filtering of hosts by forbidden aggregates

* <https://review.opendev.org/669079>
   blazar: Send global_request_id for tracing calls

* <https://review.opendev.org/668252>
   Nova: Update HostState.\*\_allocation_ratio earlier

* <https://review.opendev.org/670105>
   neutron: segments: fix rp inventory update

* <https://review.opendev.org/670112>
   Nova: WIP: Add a placement audit command

* <https://review.opendev.org/668526>
   OSA: Add placement client for neutron

* <https://review.opendev.org/586960>
   zun: [WIP] Use placement for unified resource management

# End

A colleague suggested yesterday that the universe doesn't have an
over subscription problem, rather there's localized contention, and
what we really have is a placement problem.

freenode: cdent