[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] resource providers update 18-07

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri Feb 16 13:54:21 UTC 2018

Resource provider update 18-07. This will be the last one before the
PTG and there won't be one during the PTG, so the next one will be
18-10 or later.

Before I get to the meat of this week's report, I'd like to request
some feedback from readers on how to improve the report. Over its
lifetime it has grown and it has now reached the point that while it
tries to give the impression of being complete, it never actually is,
and is a fair chunk of work to get that way.

So perhaps there is a way to make it a bit more focused and thus bit
more actionable. If there are parts you can live without or parts you
can't live without, please let me know.

One idea I've had is to do some kind of automation to make it what
amounts to a dashboard, but I'm not super inclined to do that because
the human curation has been useful for me. If it's not useful for
anyone else, however, then that's something to consider.

If, at the PTG, we decide to start making incremental progress on
extracting placement to its own thing, I'll probably add a section on
this related to work on that. I've been doing a lot of spikes to see
where some of the issues are and experiment with solutions. Those need
feedback to decide if the direction has promise or creates problems.

Okay, with that out of the way.

# Most Important

RC2 was cut last night. Bug triage and fixing is important.

There's been a lot of interesting specs started recently. Part of this
is the result of various parties moving their deployments forward (not
just to queens) and real issues with placement (and friends) being
exposed. See the specs section for some links to ones that are
pending. A few have already merged but for sake of visibility:

* Add placement-req-filter spec

* Support member_of param for allocation candidates

PTG planning screams along on etherpads, agenda and retrospective:

* https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-ptg-rocky
* https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-queens-retrospective

# Bugs:

* Placement related bugs without owners:  https://goo.gl/TgiPXb
* In progress placement bugs: https://goo.gl/vzGGDQ

# Specs

* Support traits in Glance

* Update ProviderTree

* Support aggregate affinity filter/weighers
    (Note that this is not placement aggregates and is not a
    placement-oriented solution but is something many of the same people
    are into.)

* Report CPU features to placement

* Account for host agg allocation ratio in placement

* mirror nova host aggregates to placement API

* Network bandwidth resource provider

# Main Themes

We're between themes at the moment so I'll just put everything into
other today:

# Other

* Nested resource providers

* Update references to OSC in old rp specs

* [Placement] Invalid query parameter could lead to HTTP 500

* [placement] use simple FaultWrapper

* WIP: Move resource provider objects

* Do not normalize allocation ratios

* Sending global request ids from nova to placement

* Add functional test for two-cell scheduler behaviors
       (This is old and maybe out of date, but something we might like to

* Make API history doc consistent

* WIP: General policy sample file for placement

* Support relay RP for allocation candidates
      Bug fix for sharing with multiple providers

* Convert driver supported capabilities to compute node provider

* Update resources once in update available resources
       (This ought, when it works, to help address some redunancy
       concerns with nova making too many requests to placement)

* Support aggregate affinity filters/weighers
       A rocky targeted improvement to affinity handling

* Improved functional test coverage for placement

* Functional tests for traits api

* WIP: SchedulerReportClient.set_aggregates_for_provider
       This is for rocky as it depends on changing the api for
       aggregates handling on the placement side to accept and provide
       a generation

* Check for leaked allocations in post_test_hook

# End

Chris Dent                      (⊙_⊙')         https://anticdent.org/