[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 20:46:34 UTC 2018

On 18/08/18 18:22, Eric Fried wrote:
> A year ago we might have developed a feature where one patch would
> straddle placement and nova. Six months ago we were developing features
> where those patches were separate but in the same series. Today that's
> becoming less and less the case: nrp, sharing providers, consumer
> generations, and other things mentioned have had their placement side
> completed and their nova side - if started at all - done completely
> independently. The reshaper series is an exception - but looking back on
> its development, Depends-On would have worked just as well.

So you've given a list here of things that you think wouldn't gain any
particular benefit from being under the same governance. (Or possibly
this is just an argument for being in a separate repo, which everybody
already agrees with?) Mel gave a list of things she thinks _would_
benefit from shared governance. Was there anything on her list that
you'd disagree with? Is there anything on your list that Mel or Dan or
anybody else would disagree with? Why?

(Note: I personally don't even think it matters, but this is how you
reach consensus.)

> Agree the nova project is overloaded and would benefit from having
> broader core reviewer coverage over placement code.  The list Chris
> gives above includes more than one non-nova core who should be made
> placement cores as soon as that's a thing.

I agree with this, but separate governance is not a prerequisite for it.
Having a different/larger core team for a repo in Gerrit is technically
very easy, and our governance rules leave it completely up to the
project team (represented by the PTL) to decide. Mel indicated what I'd
describe as non-opposition to that on IRC, provided that the nova-core
team retained core review rights on the placement repo.[1] How does the
Nova team as a whole feel about that? Would anybody object? Would that
be sufficient to resolve the placement team's concerns about core
reviewer coverage?

cheers,
Zane.

[1]