[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Aug 20 08:56:06 UTC 2018

Chris Dent wrote:
> [...]
> So my hope is that (in no particular order) Jay Pipes, Eric Fried,
> Takashi Natsume, Tetsuro Nakamura, Matt Riedemann, Andrey Volkov,
> Alex Xu, Balazs Gibizer, Ed Leafe, and any other contributor to
> placement whom I'm forgetting [1] would express their preference on
> what they'd like to see happen.
>
> At the same time, if people from neutron, cinder, blazar, zun,
> mogan, ironic, and cyborg could express their preferences, we can get
> through this by acclaim and get on with getting things done.
> [...]

I fully support that existing and potential placement contributors
decide its destiny.

Upstream development work in OpenStack is (currently) organized in
"project teams" (groups of people), not programs (domains). If the
existing and potential contributors match an existing project team, then
work can be placed within it. If it's just a very partial overlap, I'd
recommend creating a specific team, especially if placement is expected
to attract other contributors.

Notes:
- the new project team "officialization" can be fast-tracked as this
would be a split of official code, not new code
- being in separate teams does not prevent cooperation or coordination

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)