[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] OpenStack moving both too fast and too slow at the same time

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri May 5 17:24:49 UTC 2017

On 05/05/2017 10:48 AM, Chris Dent wrote:

> Would it be accurate to say, then, that from your perpsective the
> tendency of OpenStack to adopt new projects willy nilly contributes
> to the sense of features winning out over deployment, configuration
> and usability issues?

Personally I don't care about the new projects...if I'm not using them I can
ignore them, and if I am using them then I'll pay attention to them.

But within existing established projects there are some odd gaps.

Like nova hasn't implemented cold-migration or resize (or live-migration) of an
instance with LVM local storage if you're using libvirt.

Image properties get validated, but not flavor extra-specs or instance metadata.

Cinder theoretically supports LVM/iSCSI, but if you actually try to use it for
anything stressful it falls over.

Some of the database pruning tools don't cover all the tables so the DB gets
bigger over time.

I'm sure there are historical reasons for all of these, I'm just pointing out
some of the things that were surprising to me.

Chris