[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] OpenStack moving both too fast and too slow at the same time

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri May 5 16:48:17 UTC 2017

On Fri, 5 May 2017, Alex Schultz wrote:

> You have to understand that as I'm mainly dealing with having to
> actually deploy/configure the software, when I see 'new project X'
> that does 'cool new things Y, Z' it makes me cringe.  Because it's
> just added complexity for new features that who knows if they are
> actually going to be consumed by a majority of end users.  I see a
> lot of new features for edge cases while the core functionally
> (insert the most used project configuration) still have awkward
> deployment, configuration and usability issues. But those aren't
> exciting so people don't want to work on them...

Would it be accurate to say, then, that from your perpsective the
tendency of OpenStack to adopt new projects willy nilly contributes
to the sense of features winning out over deployment, configuration
and usability issues?

I think a lot of project contributors may not really see it that way
because they think of their project and within that project there is
a constant effort to clean things up, address bugs and tech debt,
and try to slowly but surely evolve to some level of maturity. In
their eyes those new projects are something else separate from their
project.

>From the outside, however, it is all OpenStack and maybe it looks
like there's loads of diffuse attention.

If that's the case, then a question is whether or not the people who
are spending time on those new projects would be spending time on
the older projects instead if the new projects didn't exist. I don't
know, but seems unlikely.

--
Chris Dent                  ┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)       https://anticdent.org/