[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Should the Technical Committee meetings be dropped?
flavio at redhat.com
Thu May 4 17:10:41 UTC 2017
In the last Technical Committee meeting, we discussed the idea of dropping the
Technical Committee meeting entirely in favor of a more asynchronous
communication. Here's a brief summary of the problems this is trying to solve
(most taken from the proposal):
* It takes place a specific time of day, even if we have rotating time slots,
we are always excluding someone.
* The fast paced nature of the IRC meetings can exclude many for the
conversation. Many native English speakers struggle to keep track of the
conversation and get their point across. It is even worse for non-native
* Feels like many conversations happen outside the meeting in non-open-enough
ways, we should make it easy to have more open conversations.
* Reduce the number of places where topics are discussed and, instead, improve
the way we use the other ones we have, which favor a more distributed community.
The discussion in the meeting started from what problems this proposal is trying
to solve and evolved into whether we should go all-in on this or take baby steps
towards dropping the meeting and see how things evolve.
Some of the current TC activities depend on the meeting to some extent:
* We use the meeting to give the final ack on some the formal-vote reviews.
* Some folks (tc members and not) use the meeting agenda to know what they
should be reviewing.
* Some folks (tc members and not) use the meeting as a way to review or
paticipate in active discussions.
* Some folks use the meeting logs to catch up on what's going on in the TC
In the resolution that has been proposed, we've listed possible solutions for
some of this issues and others:
* Having office hours
* Sending weekly updates (pulse) on the current reviews and TC discussions
Regardless we do this change on one-shot or multiple steps (or don't do it at
all), I believe it requires changing the way TC activities are done:
* It requires folks (especially TC members) to be more active on reviewing
* It requires folks to engage more on the mailing list and start more
Sending this out to kick off a broader discussion on these topics. Thoughts?
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 862 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the OpenStack-dev