[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Should the Technical Committee meetings be dropped?

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu May 4 17:49:32 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 04, 2017 at 10:10:41AM -0700, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> In the last Technical Committee meeting, we discussed the idea of dropping the
> Technical Committee meeting entirely[0][1] in favor of a more asynchronous
> communication. Here's a brief summary of the problems this is trying to solve
> (most taken from the proposal):
>
> [snip]
>
> Regardless we do this change on one-shot or multiple steps (or don't do it at
> all), I believe it requires changing the way TC activities are done:
>
> * It requires folks (especially TC members) to be more active on reviewing
>  governance patches
> * It requires folks to engage more on the mailing list and start more
>  discussions there.
>
> Sending this out to kick off a broader discussion on these topics. Thoughts?
> Opinions? Objections?

I'll start off saying I'm fine trying this for a cycle or two to see if we can
make it work. There's nothing saying we can't reinstate the meeting if we
realize it was giving us something that we are not able to get (or adjust to
getting) through ad hoc IRC chats and mailing list discussions.

But part of my concern to getting rid of the meeting is that I do find it
valuable. The arguments against having it are some of the same I've heard for
our in-person events. It's hard for some to travel to the PTG. There's a lot
of active discussion at the PTG that is definitely a challenge for non-native
speakers to keep up with. But I think we all recognize what value having events
like the PTG provide. Or the Summit/Design Summit/Forum/Midcycle/
pick-your-favorite.

Just airing my concerns though. I do think we can make an effort and still get
things accomplished without the weekly meeting. There's some intangible
benefits to having everyone together in one place in real time that will need
to be evaluated as we go to make sure we are not losing out on something we
have now.

Sean