[openstack-dev] [libvirt] Whether kvm supports NVIDIA VGPU

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 19:03:56 UTC 2017

On 04/12/2017 10:53 PM, 文峰sx-9149 wrote:
> Will the openstack or libvirt (kvm) support NVIDIA VGPU?
>  I am here
> <https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2016-August/msg00939.html> to see a mail introduction libvirt kvm support VGPU.
>  But I do not know the current development situation of this feature.
> Who can tell me about VGPU in Openstack?
> Thanks.

A number of things need to happen before vGPU resources are a reality in
OpenStack/Nova. In order, they are:

1) Completion of the "traits framework" for resource providers [1]. This
should be completed in Pike.

2) Completion of the "nested resource providers framework" [2]. This is
critical because physical GPUs (or physical GPU *groups* in the case of
XenServer) are child providers to the compute node resource provider and
need to be tracked in a hierarchical relationship for resource
accounting purposes. It is a stretch goal to get this work complete for
Pike.

3) The spec for VGPU resources needs to be approved and merged [3]. This
should happen today or Monday.

4) The os-traits library [4] needs to have GPU traits added to it.
Jianghua from Citrix and myself are working on this.

5) The virt driver's get_inventory() methods [5] need to be reworked to
account for physical GPUs (or physical GPU groups in the case of
XenServer) having a set inventory of VGPU resources for each unique
combination of max resolution size and other traits.

6) The flavor extra specs and image metadata need to be updated to allow
an admin to configure and a user to request one or more VGPU resources
from a VGPU resource provider having a set of required traits.

Best,
-jay

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/resource-provider-traits
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/nested-resource-providers