[openstack-dev] [libvirt] Whether kvm supports NVIDIA VGPU

Alex Xu soulxu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 08:37:09 UTC 2017

> On 04/12/2017 10:53 PM, 文峰sx-9149 wrote:
>
>> Will the openstack or libvirt (kvm) support NVIDIA VGPU?
>>  I am here
>> <https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2016-August/msg00939.html>
>> to see a mail introduction libvirt kvm support VGPU.
>>  But I do not know the current development situation of this feature.
>> Who can tell me about VGPU in Openstack?
>> Thanks.
>>

> A number of things need to happen before vGPU resources are a reality in
> OpenStack/Nova. In order, they are:
>
> 1) Completion of the "traits framework" for resource providers [1]. This
> should be completed in Pike.

yea, the traits API already merged, just left one patch
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/resource-provider-traits

> 2) Completion of the "nested resource providers framework" [2]. This is
> critical because physical GPUs (or physical GPU *groups* in the case of
> XenServer) are child providers to the compute node resource provider and
> need to be tracked in a hierarchical relationship for resource accounting
> purposes. It is a stretch goal to get this work complete for Pike.
>
> 3) The spec for VGPU resources needs to be approved and merged [3]. This
> should happen today or Monday.
>
> 4) The os-traits library [4] needs to have GPU traits added to it.
> Jianghua from Citrix and myself are working on this.
>
> 5) The virt driver's get_inventory() methods [5] need to be reworked to
> account for physical GPUs (or physical GPU groups in the case of XenServer)
> having a set inventory of VGPU resources for each unique combination of max
> resolution size and other traits.
>
> 6) The flavor extra specs and image metadata need to be updated to allow
> an admin to configure and a user to request one or more VGPU resources from
> a VGPU resource provider having a set of required traits.

This spec https://review.openstack.org/#/c/351063/ is going to enable
configure the flavor include a set of required traits or preferred traits.
But it is abandoned by you, I'm not sure the reason yet, try to catch you
later.