[openstack-dev] [devstack] uwsgi for API services

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Apr 13 12:01:54 UTC 2017

One of the many reasons for getting all our API services running wsgi
under a real webserver is to get out of the custom ports for all
services game. However, because of some of the limits of apache
mod_wsgi, we really haven't been able to do that in our development
enviroment. Plus, the moment we go to mod_wsgi for some services, the
entire development workflow for "change this library, refresh the
following services" changes dramatically.

It would be better to have a consistent story here.

So there is some early work up to use apache mod_proxy_uwsgi as the
listener, and uwsgi processes running under systemd for all the
services. These bind only to a unix local socket, not to a port.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/456344/

Early testing locally has been showing progress. We still need to prove
out a few things, but this should simplify a bunch of the setup. And
coming with systemd will converge us back to a more consistent
development workflow when updating common code in a project that has
both API services and workers.

For projects that did the mod_wsgi thing in a devstack plugin, this is
going to require some adjustment. Exactly what is not yet clear, but
it's going to be worth following that patch.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net