[openstack-dev] [security] [salt] Removal of Security and OpenStackSalt project teams from the Big Tent

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Fri Sep 23 03:04:23 UTC 2016

Dims,

This isn’t any of my particular business except it could affect emerging technology projects (which I find important to OpenStack’s future) negatively – so I thought I’d chime in.

A lack of activity in a specs repo doesn’t mean much to me.  For example, as Kolla was an emerging project we didn’t use any specs process at all (or very rarely).  There is a reason behind this. Now that Kolla is stable and reliable and we feel we are not an emerging project, we plan to make use of a specs repo starting in Ocata.

I have no particular concerns with the other commentary – but please don’t judge a project by activity or lack of activity in one repo of its deliverables.  Judge it holistically (You are judging holistically.  I believe a lack of one repo’s activity shouldn’t be part of that judgement).

Regards
-steve

On 9/21/16, 2:08 PM, "Davanum Srinivas" <davanum at gmail.com> wrote:

    Jakub,

    Please see below.

    On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Jakub Pavlik <jakub.pavlik at tcpcloud.eu> wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > it took us 2 years of hard working to get these official. OpenStack-Salt is
    > now used by around 40 production deployments and it is focused very on
    > operation and popularity is growing. You are removing the project week after
    > one of top contributor announced that they will use that as part of
    > solution. We made a mistakes, however I do not think that is reason to
    > remove us. I do no think that quality of the project is measured like this.
    > Our PTL got ill and did not do properly his job for last 3 weeks, but this
    > can happen anybody.
    >
    >  It is up to you. If you think that we are useless for community, then
    > remove us and we will have to continue outside of this community. However
    > growing successful use cases will not be under official openstack community,
    > which makes my feeling bad.

    Data points so far are:
    1. No response during Barcelona planning for rooms
    2. Lack of candidates for PTL election
    3. No activity in the releases/ repository hence no entries in
    https://releases.openstack.org/
    4. Meetings are not so regular?
    http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack_salt/2016/ (supposed
    to be weekly)
    5. Is the specs repo really active?
    http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/openstack-salt-specs/ is the
    work being done elsewhere?
    6. Is there an effort to add stuff to the CI jobs running on openstack
    infrastructure? (can't seem to find much
    http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=salt&i=nope&files=zuul%2Flayout.yaml&repos=project-config)

    I'll stop here and switch to #openstack-salt channel to help work you
    all through if there is a consensus/willingness from the
    openstack-salt team that there's significant work to be done. If you
    think you are better off not on the governance, that would be your
    call as well.

    Thanks,
    Dims