[openstack-dev] [neutron] Skip-only tests

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Thu Sep 8 08:36:05 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-08 10:23, Toni Freger wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:
>>
>> This reminds me of this review for a nova-tempest-staging repository:
>> https://review.openstack.org/366091
>>
>> Joe seems to face similar challenges that you articulate, John,
>>
>> Andreas
>>

> Hi Andreas,
>
> I understand other projects are going in the direction of using a
> different repo for these skip-only tests. This seems
> counter-productive for us for the following reasons:

Toni, sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not advocating for this, I wanted to
bring Joe into this discussion to see whether the solution that John
suggested will help them as well - I wanted to broaden the scope of this
since it's not only neutron that faces this.

If you review my comments on that linked review, you see that I'm not in
favor of a separate repository at all.

> 1. We believe that eventually some of these pre-conditions John
> mentioned will be solved, thus requiring even more patches to migrate
> tests back to the Neutron repos.
> 2. Since the infra is still maturing (and since new features are
> written all the time), contributing tests will eventually require
> multiple patches in multiple repos. For example, adding a test for
> VLAN Aware VMs will probably require making changes to the current
> tempest infrastructure (which resides in the Neutron repo), and then
> additional "Depends-On" patches in the new repo.
>
> These will only slow down the process which can be made fluent if
> tests will be all be done in the same repo as the actual features and
> infra.

Andreas
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)