[openstack-dev] [neutron] Skip-only tests

Toni Freger tfreger at redhat.com
Thu Sep 8 08:23:49 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> This reminds me of this review for a nova-tempest-staging repository:
> https://review.openstack.org/366091
>
> Joe seems to face similar challenges that you articulate, John,
>
> Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I understand other projects are going in the direction of using a
different repo for these skip-only tests. This seems
counter-productive for us for the following reasons:
1. We believe that eventually some of these pre-conditions John
mentioned will be solved, thus requiring even more patches to migrate
tests back to the Neutron repos.
2. Since the infra is still maturing (and since new features are
written all the time), contributing tests will eventually require
multiple patches in multiple repos. For example, adding a test for
VLAN Aware VMs will probably require making changes to the current
tempest infrastructure (which resides in the Neutron repo), and then
additional "Depends-On" patches in the new repo.

These will only slow down the process which can be made fluent if
tests will be all be done in the same repo as the actual features and
infra.

Thanks,
Toni.