[openstack-dev] [neutron] Skip-only tests

Joe Hakim Rahme jhakimra at redhat.com
Thu Sep 8 15:44:58 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-09-08 at 10:36 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Toni, sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not advocating for this, I wanted to
> bring Joe into this discussion to see whether the solution that John
> suggested will help them as well - I wanted to broaden the scope of
> this since it's not only neutron that faces this.

Hi,

Just to be clear, my intention with the repo I'm trying to create is
to hold tests that are not acceptable in upstream Tempest by design
(mainly whitebox testing). I think what John was referring to (correct
me if I'm wrong) are tests that are acceptable Tempest tests but we
lack the required infrastrcuture (hardware, images, ...) to run them
in the gate.

I realize now that the name I chose "nova-tempest-staging" might be
misleading and I think it should be changed. Maybe something like
"tempest-whitebox-plugin" might be more descriptive?

As for the topic of skip-only tests, I think that it'd be a shame to
reject valid and valuable tests simply because the gate is not equipped
to run them. There are use cases for Tempest outside of the upstream
gate, so marking certain tests as valid-but-skipped-in-the-gate seems
like an acceptable solution to me.

(I'm not a maintainer of the Tempest repo so please take my opinion
with a grain of salt).

Cheers,
Joe