[openstack-dev] [cinder] moving driver to open source

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Sep 8 08:24:09 UTC 2016

Avishay Traeger wrote:
> There are a number of drivers that require closed-source tools to
> communicate with the storage.  3 others that I've come across recently:
>
>   * EMC VNX: requires Navisphere CLI v7.32 or higher
>   * Hitachi storage volume driver: requires RAID Manager Ver 01-32-03/01
>     or later for VSP G1000/VSP/HUS VM, Hitachi Storage Navigator Modular
>     2 (HSNM2) Ver 27.50 or later for HUS 100 Family
>   * Infortrend driver: requires raidcmd ESDS10

If those proprietary dependencies are required for operation, those
would probably violate our licensing policy[1] and should probably be
removed:

"In order to be acceptable as dependencies of OpenStack projects,
external libraries (produced and published by 3rd-party developers) must
be licensed under an OSI-approved license that does not restrict
distribution of the consuming project. The list of acceptable licenses
includes ASLv2, BSD (both forms), MIT, PSF, LGPL, ISC, and MPL. Licenses
considered incompatible with this requirement include GPLv2, GPLv3, and
AGPL."

[1] http://governance.openstack.org/reference/licensing.html

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)