[openstack-dev] [cinder] moving driver to open source

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Sep 8 08:32:20 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 10:24:09AM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Avishay Traeger wrote:
> > There are a number of drivers that require closed-source tools to
> > communicate with the storage.  3 others that I've come across recently:
> >
> >   * EMC VNX: requires Navisphere CLI v7.32 or higher
> >   * Hitachi storage volume driver: requires RAID Manager Ver 01-32-03/01
> >     or later for VSP G1000/VSP/HUS VM, Hitachi Storage Navigator Modular
> >     2 (HSNM2) Ver 27.50 or later for HUS 100 Family
> >   * Infortrend driver: requires raidcmd ESDS10
>
> If those proprietary dependencies are required for operation, those
> would probably violate our licensing policy[1] and should probably be
> removed:
>
> "In order to be acceptable as dependencies of OpenStack projects,
> external libraries (produced and published by 3rd-party developers) must
> be licensed under an OSI-approved license that does not restrict
> distribution of the consuming project. The list of acceptable licenses
> includes ASLv2, BSD (both forms), MIT, PSF, LGPL, ISC, and MPL. Licenses
> considered incompatible with this requirement include GPLv2, GPLv3, and
> AGPL."

That policy is referring to libraries (ie, python modules that we'd
actually "import" at the python level), while the list above seems to be
referring to external command line tools that we merely invoke from the
python code. From a license compatibility POV there's no problem, as there's
a boundary between the open source openstack code, and the closed source
external program. Talking to a closed source external command over stdio,
is conceptually no different to talking to a closed source server over
some remote API.

Regards,
Daniel