[openstack-dev] [tempest][qa][ironic][nova] When Nova should mark instance as successfully deleted?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue May 31 11:45:41 UTC 2016

On 05/30/2016 10:26 AM, Loo, Ruby wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> But the issue here is just capacity. Whether or not we keep an instance
>> in a deleting state, or when we release quota, doesn't change the
>> Tempest failures from what I can tell. The suggestions below address
>> that.

>>> Disabling the cleaning step (or having a fake one that does nothing) for
>>> the
>>> gate would get around the failures at least. It would make things work
>>> again
>>> because the nodes would be available right after Nova deletes them.
>
> I lost track of what we are trying to test ? If we want to test that an ironic node gets cleaned, then add fake cleaning. If we don¹t care that the node gets cleaned (because eg we have a different test that will test for that), then disable the cleaning. [And if we don¹t care either way, but one is harder to do than the other, go with the easier ;)]

It seems like cleaning tests are probably something you want to do in a
more dedicated way because of the cost associated with them. We run the
default gate jobs with secure_delete turned off for volumes for the same
reason, it just adds a ton of delay that impacts a lot of other
unrelated code.

So if there is a flag to just disable it, I think that's fine.
Especially given the fake ironic is qemu guests right? So kill and
reboot should give you a fresh one.

Just make sure that in an Ironic specific normal job cleaning is handled.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net