[openstack-dev] [Swift] going forward

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Mon May 2 19:17:50 UTC 2016

At the summit last week, the Swift community spent a lot of time discussing the feature/hummingbird branch. (For those who don't know, the feature/hummingbird branch contains some parts of Swift which have been reimplemented in Go.)

As a result of that summit discussion, we have a plan and a goal: we will integrate a subset of the current hummingbird work into Swift's master branch, and the future will contain both Python and Go code. We are starting with the object server and replication layer.

The high-level plan is below. I've included some general time estimates, but, as with all things open-source, these estimates are just that. This work will be done when it's done.

Our current short-term focus for Swift is to integrate the feature/crypto work to provide at-rest encryption. This crypto work is nearly ready to merge, and it is the community focus until it's done. While that crypto work is finishing up, we will be defining the minimum deployable functionality from hummingbird that is necessary before it can land on master. I expect the crypto work to be finished in the next six to eight weeks.

After feature/crypto is merged, as a community we will be implementing any missing things identified as necessary to merge. There will be some base functionality that needs to be implemented, and there will be a lot of things like docs, tests, and deployability work.

Our goal is to have a reasonably ready-to-merge feature branch ready by the Barcelona summit. Shortly after Barcelona, we will begin the actual merge of the Go code to master.

This work, this plan, and these goals do NOT mean that we are completely rewriting Swift in Go. Python will exist in Swift's codebase for a long time to come. Our goal is to keep doing the same thing we've been doing for years: focus on performance and user needs to give the best possible object storage system in the world.

--John