[openstack-dev] [tempest] Implementing tempest test for Keystone federation functional tests

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Thu Mar 31 16:11:18 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 11:38:55AM -0400, Minying Lu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on resource federation at the Massachusetts Open Cloud. We want
> to implement functional test on the k2k federation, which requires
> authentication with both a local keystone and a remote keystone (in a
> different cloud installation). It also requires a K2K/SAML assertion
> exchange with the local and remote keystones. These functions are not
> implemented in the current tempest.lib.service library, so I'm adding code
> to the service library.
>
> My question is, is it possible to adapt keystoneauth python clients? Or do
> you prefer implementing it with http requests.

So tempest's clients have to be completely independent. That's part of tempest's
design points about testing APIs, not client implementations. If you need to add
additional functionality to the tempest clients that's fine, but pulling in
keystoneauth isn't really an option.

> And since this test requires a lot of environment set up including: 2
> separate cloud installations, shibboleth, creating mapping and protocols on
> remote cloud, etc. Would it be within the scope of tempest's mission?

From the tempest perspective it expects the environment to be setup and already
exist by the time you run the test. If it's a valid use of the API, which I'd
say this is and an important one too, then I feel it's fair game to have tests
for this live in tempest. We'll just have to make the configuration options
around how tempest will do this very explicit to make sure the necessary
environment exists before the tests are executed.

The fly in the ointment for this case will be CI though. For tests to live in
tempest they need to be verified by a CI system before they can land. So to
land the additional testing in tempest you'll have to also ensure there is a
CI job setup in infra to configure the necessary environment. While I think
this is a good thing to have in the long run, it's not necessarily a small
undertaking.

-Matt Treinish