[openstack-dev] Floating IPs and Public IPs are not equivalent

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Mar 31 17:23:22 UTC 2016

Just a friendly reminder to everyone - floating IPs are not synonymous
with Public IPs in OpenStack.

The most common (and growing, thank you to the beta of the new
Dreamcompute cloud) configuration for Public Clouds is directly assign
public IPs to VMs without requiring a user to create a floating IP.

I have heard that the require-floating-ip model is very common for
private clouds. While I find that even stranger, as the need to run NAT
inside of another NAT is bizarre, it is what it is.

Both models are common enough that pretty much anything that wants to
consume OpenStack VMs needs to account for both possibilities.

It would be really great if we could get the default config in devstack
to be to have a shared direct-attached network that can also have a
router attached to it and provider floating ips, since that scenario
actually allows interacting with both models (and is actually the most
common config across the OpenStack public clouds)

Monty