[openstack-dev] [bug-smash] Global OpenStack Bug Smash Mitaka

Ronald Bradford me at ronaldbradford.com
Thu Mar 10 19:11:12 UTC 2016

I attended the first day of the bugsmash event in New York and I have some
general feedback for future organizers of these types of events.  Hopefully
others can also share their experiences.

These comments are for the benefit of making the event better the next
time. As I attended only one location and one of three days, the experience
may have been vastly different elsewhere.

Connectivity.  The University location blocked IRC, git and gerrit ports.
One should be prepared for this situation when talking about the use of IRC
(but not being able to demonstrate your local client for example).  Knowing
how to adjust devstack to use https was something we needed to do.  I was
told you could communicate with gerrit over https but never got to see
that.  Having a reference to this, say the wiki would be great.

Prerequisites:  It would likely be more ideal if your focus is on fixing
bugs rather then talking about the process of how to contribute to fixing
bugs in OpenStack then stating that installing devstack as a pre-requisite.
At NYC almost all attendees have never installed devstack, so a good
portion of the day was getting this setup.  As such it was requested by
some devstack cores to propose this in docs, and hence
http://docs-draft.openstack.org/54/290854/1/check/gate-devstack-publish-docs/d6e9b5b//doc/build/html/guides/first-time.html
via https://review.openstack.org/#/c/290854/.   Again, this was just our
experience but this guide is for the absolute first time devstack user, and
it's detailed for that purpose.

Approach: There are multiple ways to consider addressing bugs, do you even
need devstack, or do you just use the code and unit tests. I think it's
important to cultivate the varied approaches and provide demonstrations of
each.  Which way to do you start, again it depends.   I feel that given the
NYC audience (and this may also not reflect others), that a live demo of
devstack, looking at screen logs, restarting a service, even changing
something (say a logging format, or a line of code) will show the audience
the impact of using devstack and validating manually the impact of your
code change.  Demonstrating unit tests, and other tox environments such as
pep8 is also a solid grounding in fixing bugs well and consistently.

Audience: The NYC event lacked any prep information (e.g. a surveymonkey)
of the level of attendee, this could have facilitated splitting the first
day into different tracks based on skills level.  For a 3 day event,
perhaps advertising day 1 specifically as getting your environment ready,
informs people.

Baseline:  At our event one of the outcomes was for a few cloud images to
be spun up with devstack and code. This solves some of the connectivity
issues, and also solves this first day getting started.  It enables it to
be potential more a homework task.  I think is a great way, having a public
cloud image and devstack and sample code base.  It serves as the basis of
demo land, can be cloned for attendees at any location.

My 2 cents to making this type of event even better next time.

Ronald Bradford

Web Site: http://ronaldbradford.com
LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronaldbradford
Twitter:    @RonaldBradford <http://twitter.com/ronaldbradford>