[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Allowing Teams Based on Vendor-specific Drivers

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 00:32:05 UTC 2016

On 13:33 Nov 28, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> The OpenStack community wants to encourage collaboration by emphasizing
> contributions to projects that abstract differences between
> vendor-specific products, while still empowering vendors to integrate
> their products with OpenStack through drivers that can be consumed
> by the abstraction layers.
>
> Some teams for projects that use drivers may not want to manage
> some or all of the drivers that can be consumed by their project
> because they have little insight into testing or debugging the code,
> or do not have the resources needed to manage centrally a large
> number of separate drivers. Vendors are of course free to produce
> drivers to integrate with OpenStack completely outside of the
> community, but because we value having the drivers as well as the
> more general support of vendor companies, we want to encourage a
> higher level of engagement by welcoming vendor-specific teams to
> be a part of our community governance.
>
> Our Requirements for New Projects list [0] includes a statement
> about establishing a "level and open collaboration playing field"
>
>   The project shall provide a level and open collaboration playing
>   field for all contributors. The project shall not benefit a single
>   vendor, or a single vendors product offerings; nor advantage
>   contributors from a single vendor organization due to access to
>   source code, hardware, resources or other proprietary technology
>   available only to those contributors.
>
> This requirement makes it difficult to support having teams focused
> on producing a deliverable that primarily benefits a single vendor.
> So, we have some tension between wanting to collaborate and have a
> level playing field, while wanting to control the amount of driver
> code that projects have to manage.
>
> I'm raising this as an issue because it's not just a hypothetical
> problem. The Cisco networking driver team, having been removed from
> the Neutron stadium, is asking for status as a separate official
> team [1]. I would very much like to find a way to say "yes, welcome
> (back)!"

<snip>

Sorry for bringing this thread back up as I was gone for paternity leave, and
have been looking into this a bit.

I was reached out by someone at Cisco during the Ocata summit that was
interested in a Cisco driver being more recognized and official. I think a way
forward for us to be able to have an interested party in marking which drivers
are validated to work in Neutron and tested is knowing which tests need to be
tested by which driver type [1]. If we can provide Armando with more support.
I have provided some more detailed information on reviews [1][2], and I think
this will help with what some are seeking with their drivers.

[1] - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/391594
[2] - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/363709

--
Mike Perez