[openstack-dev] [all] Using \ for multiline statements

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Dec 23 21:11:03 UTC 2016

On 12/22/2016 07:42 PM, Ian Cordasco wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Sean McGinnis <sean.mcginnis at gmx.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> By the way, can we finally all agree that commit message titles need to be a
>>> proper ('merican) English grammatically correct sentence that begins with a
>>> capital letter and ends with a period. And flavor is flavor, it's not
>>> flavour.
>>>
>>> Happy holidays.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Matt Riedemann
>>>

>> Hah, now you're just trying to start the flames! :D
>
> In my opinion, the Queen's English is imperially better... or is it
> empirically? =P
>
> As a side note, I could have sworn I remembered pep8/pycodestyle
> warning on using backslashes instead of ()s but I seem to have been
> wrong. All it warns about is using a backslash inside parentheses
> because it's redundant.
>
> As a maintainer of pycodestyle, I'd be happy to add one, especially
> since the PEP-0008 document's preferred way is ()s [1]. That said,
> it's possible that check was removed at some point and I'm just too
> tired to do the archaeology for it. (It also might have been buggy at
> the time.)
>
> Either way, -1'ing over style issues is silly if the tool allows it
> (or as is usually the case in OpenStack, is configured to allow it).
> At that point it's subjective and a bit of a waste of people's time to
> argue over it. From a perspective of personal preference, I prefer ()s
> but that's just my $0.02.
>
> [1]: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#maximum-line-length

I think this is the most important point. We have automated style tools.
Humans should not be doing code review on code style. Humans should be
doing code review on logic and intent and whether a design is a good
idea or whether their colleague may have missed an error case or what
have you.

We have tools for enforcing things like tests running and code style
conforming. Let the tools do their job so the humans can focus on being
human.

Monty