[openstack-dev] [all] Using \ for multiline statements

Ian Cordasco sigmavirus24 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 01:42:52 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Sean McGinnis <sean.mcginnis at gmx.com> wrote:

>> By the way, can we finally all agree that commit message titles need to be a
>> proper ('merican) English grammatically correct sentence that begins with a
>> capital letter and ends with a period. And flavor is flavor, it's not
>> flavour.
>>
>> Happy holidays.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Matt Riedemann
>>

> Hah, now you're just trying to start the flames! :D

In my opinion, the Queen's English is imperially better... or is it
empirically? =P

As a side note, I could have sworn I remembered pep8/pycodestyle
warning on using backslashes instead of ()s but I seem to have been
wrong. All it warns about is using a backslash inside parentheses
because it's redundant.

As a maintainer of pycodestyle, I'd be happy to add one, especially
since the PEP-0008 document's preferred way is ()s [1]. That said,
it's possible that check was removed at some point and I'm just too
tired to do the archaeology for it. (It also might have been buggy at
the time.)

Either way, -1'ing over style issues is silly if the tool allows it
(or as is usually the case in OpenStack, is configured to allow it).
At that point it's subjective and a bit of a waste of people's time to
argue over it. From a perspective of personal preference, I prefer ()s
but that's just my $0.02.

[1]: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#maximum-line-length
--
Ian Cordasco