[openstack-dev] [kolla][tc] Video Meetings - input requested

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Mon Dec 12 18:14:49 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 01:16:13AM +0800, Jeffrey Zhang wrote:
> TC
> ​,
>> Some contributors in kolla have had unscheduled video meetings. This has
> resulted in complaints about inclusiveness. Some contributors can’t even
> make
> the meeting we have, and another scheduled video meeting might produce a
> situation in which there is no any record of decisions made during the video
> meeting. At least with IRC meetings there is always a log.
>
> One solution is to schedule these meetings and have two 1 hour meetings per
> week.
>
> As the PTL while Michal is moving, I have trouble following these video
> meetings since English isn’t my native language. Can you offer any advice
> for
> our project?

Well one of is 4 opens open community specifically calls out having official
meetings over irc. [1] It's also a requirement for OpenStack projects to have
meetings on irc where they're logged. [2] If these video meetings are being used
to make decisions and there is no discussion of it in on the ML or via an official
irc meeting then that's a problem. (for the reasons you've outlined)

This basic topic was also discussed before in the thread starting here:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-February/056551.html

As Flavio said there I don't think we can (or should?) prevent people from
having ad-hoc calls or video chats to work through an issue. They can be quite
valuable to work through a disagreement or other problem with high bandwidth
communication. But, that by itself should never be definitive discussion or
used in lieu of an open communication mechanism to make decisions in the
community. Whatever is discussed in these has to go through the normal
open communication mechanisms we use in the community before you can act upon
them.

I'm not really familiar with the full scope of these video meetings Kolla is
having (this is the first I've heard of them) but based on your description it
sounds like they are encroaching on violating the open community requirement
for projects. I think this is especially true if you're using the video
meetings as a replacement for irc meetings. But, without knowing all the
details I can't say for certain.

-Matt Treinish

[1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/opens.html#open-community
[2] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/new-projects-requirements.html