[openstack-dev] [all] -The lifecycle of deploying openstack on production environment

Michał Dulko michal.dulko at intel.com
Fri Apr 15 08:47:05 UTC 2016

You should probably try openstack-operators mailing list next time, as
openstack-dev is more developer oriented. But anyway:

On 04/15/2016 08:53 AM, Kenny Ji-work wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We wanner to deploy openstack to the production environment, so what's
> the recommended way to complete it? By using *puppet-openstack *or any
> else tool?

According to latest OpenStack User Survey [1] most popular tools are
either Puppet or Ansible. There are OpenStack projects maintaining
manifests or playbooks for both of them (and more).

[1]
https://www.openstack.org/assets/survey/April-2016-User-Survey-Report.pdf

> *Secondly*, we want to add *custom codes* into the openstack's. So the
> problem is that if new version of openstack is released, the efforts
> taken to port the codes to the new version must be put into action. In
> one word, is there some convenient way to realize it?

There are efforts to standardize OpenStack between deployments, so
convenient ways of injecting your own code are currently being
deprecated and removed. See nova hooks for example [2].

[2]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-February/087782.html

> *Thirdly*, if we want to *upgrade *our openstack version in the
> production environment, how can we do it easier? Thank you for answering!

Then you may want to look at Kolla project [3], as it deploys OpenStack
in Docker containers and provides automated procedure allowing upgrade
between releases with minimal downtime.

[3] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Kolla