[openstack-dev] [all] -The lifecycle of deploying openstack on production environment

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 09:23:51 UTC 2016

On 15 April 2016 at 07:53, Kenny Ji-work <jenkins-sdg at qq.com> wrote:

> We wanner to deploy openstack to the production environment, so what's the
> recommended way to complete it? By using *puppet-openstack *or any else
> tool?
> *Secondly*, we want to add *custom codes* into the openstack's. So the
> problem is that if new version of openstack is released, the efforts taken
> to port the codes to the new version must be put into action. In one word,
> is there some convenient way to realize it?
> *Thirdly*, if we want to *upgrade *our openstack version in the
> production environment, how can we do it easier? Thank you for answering!

Hi Kenny,

There are projects within OpenStack which facilitate deployments using
Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Docker, etc. What you choose really depends on your
existing skill set and preferences. I would advise that you evaluate each
project and select one that suits your needs.

>From the point of view of the OpenStack-Ansible project we provide a tool
set to deploy OpenStack using Ansible. Our documentation [1] is pretty good
(and getting better all the time thanks to input from Operators). The
deployment we cater for is a stable, highly available deployment for
production usage and we allow a great deal of customisation in terms of
deployment design and OpenStack configuration.

The project deploys directly from the OpenStack service project git sources
and provides you the ability to change that git source to your own, so you
can easily point it at a fork of the OpenStack service projects if you so
choose.

Lastly the project does include tasks to handle upgrades. We have a
complete and tested set for Juno->Kilo->Liberty and will be working on
Liberty->Mitaka early within the Newton cycle.

I encourage you to engage with us in #openstack-ansible to discuss your
use-case and your experience as you evaluate the tooling we provide. I hope
that it already meets your needs, but if it doesn't then we'd definitely
like feedback to improve our deliverables.

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/openstack-ansible/

Best regards,

Jesse
IRC: odyssey4me