[openstack-dev] Constant attempts from Matthew Kassawara to remove Debian from the install-guide

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Sat Apr 9 00:05:35 UTC 2016

Okay. I'll try to propose an idea.

In the Mitaka install spec review, [1] I asked if the drama was worth the
extra effort to remove. Personally I don't believe so, having refereed this
discussion for years now.

I think you're both reasonable people and do believe in OpenStack. You both
want it to succeed, yet for the particular goals of the install guide you
haven't come to consensus. That's fine.

I have another idea for a way forward that doesn't require consensus across
teams. Now that we have the governance in place for debian packaging, let's
move the debian install guide to a new repo that can go under the packaging
project, and you can create and maintain build jobs for the debian install
guide. No one will have the additional burden of maintaining conditional
text. You can write what you like and publish what you want, taking
responsibility for quality control and ongoing maintenance.

Monty's the PTL for packaging-rpm. [2] Can you envision a
debian-install-guide repo within the packaging-rpm team, with both a review
team and bug triaging only for that repo? You'll need to work on the gate
and build jobs as well, but I truly believe we have the systems in place to
enable this. And with the direction of the individual projects taking
responsibility for their install guides, we have a framework we're moving
towards and this case seems to fit the new framework. [3]

I think it's a great use of the time you have now, and lets us all stop
losing time to the debate.

Thoughts?
Anne

1.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/274231/4/specs/mitaka/installguide-mitaka.rst
2.
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/election/plain//candidates/newton/Packaging-Deb/Monty_Taylor.txt
3. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/301284/

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> I don't do ab-dominem pointing fingers. I believe this is normally
> detrimental to the project. However, I don't have any choice in this
> case. Matthew is consistently attempting to remove the Debian support
> from the install-guide. He's doing it again:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/302934/
>
> And without any discussion with me, who did all of the work. And again,
> just after the release, which is when I usually have the time to work
> again on the install-guide.
>
> The first time it happened, was when the install-guide was converted to
> RST. I was told I couldn't commit, as it was frozen.
>
> This type of behavior is completely in opposition to what we've voted
> for: the bit tent, where everyone is welcome. In this case Matthew, is
> clearly making a war against Debian support in the install-guide. I
> don't want this to happen.
>
> Matthew, in his CR, wrote:
> "lack of maintenance and usability"
>
> Well, first of all, I don't agree with that. Second, like on every
> releases, I intended to work on it after the packages were done, for the
> Mitaka release.
>
> Another thing is that the Debian packages are the only ones available
> for many services, as Canonical doesn't work on them (these packages are
> just sync from Debian, at best). So we'd be effectively removing the
> only OS where it can be installed.
>
> I received *many* feedback from people who would like to see more of
> Debian in the install-guide, not less, and even less get it completely
> removed. During a year, I had to point to the direct link where the
> Debian guide was installed, as the link on docs.openstack.org was
> removed (up to now, still don't understand why this happened). Now, even
> the generation of the Debian docs is removed, and I can't point to it.
>
> This has to stop. This is disgusting, and with no valid reason. The same
> way every project should be welcome in the install-guide, contributors
> should be welcome, and for all operating systems.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Anne Gentle
www.justwriteclick.com