[openstack-dev] [nova] [infra] The same SRIOV / NFV CI failures missed a regression, why?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Apr 5 00:45:28 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-04 20:06:03 -0400 (-0400), Jay Pipes wrote:
> I'm really not sure why you are being so hostile to my proposal.
> Essentially, I wanted to involve the upstream Infra team in this
> so they can advise on the project and ensure that the 3rd party CI
> system that gets built matches what is used for the upstream
> system.
>
> I'm not trying to add load to the infra team. Quite the opposite,
> I am attempting to gain a level of coordination to ensure an
> aligned CI system is produced that won't be a giant pain for all
> involved.

I didn't intend to come across as hostile. My concern was over what
sounded like a proposal for the OpenStack Foundation to hire some
systems administrators for the purpose of running a CI environment
to test hardware-specific features within the scope of the Infra
team. Your original suggestion[*] said things like "OpenStack
Foundation [with help] hire 2 or more systems administrators to
maintain this lab environment" and "upstream Infrastructure team
works with the hired system administrators to create a single CI
system".

If the actual proposal is for member companies to set up a CI system
using the documentation and support our community already
collectively provides to that end, I welcome their participation in
and contributions to the existing third-party CI ecosystem. If the
proposal is for integrating a hardware test environment into the
upstream CI directly, having the Infra team responsible for its care
and feeding and getting the OpenStack Foundation to dedicate staff
to that end, then my concerns stand as stated.

[*] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-March/090513.html
--
Jeremy Stanley