[openstack-dev] [nova] [infra] The same SRIOV / NFV CI failures missed a regression, why?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 04:45:20 UTC 2016

On 04/04/2016 08:45 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2016-04-04 20:06:03 -0400 (-0400), Jay Pipes wrote:
>> I'm really not sure why you are being so hostile to my proposal.
>> Essentially, I wanted to involve the upstream Infra team in this
>> so they can advise on the project and ensure that the 3rd party CI
>> system that gets built matches what is used for the upstream
>> system.
>>
>> I'm not trying to add load to the infra team. Quite the opposite,
>> I am attempting to gain a level of coordination to ensure an
>> aligned CI system is produced that won't be a giant pain for all
>> involved.
>
> I didn't intend to come across as hostile. My concern was over what
> sounded like a proposal for the OpenStack Foundation to hire some
> systems administrators for the purpose of running a CI environment
> to test hardware-specific features within the scope of the Infra
> team. Your original suggestion[*] said things like "OpenStack
> Foundation [with help] hire 2 or more systems administrators to
> maintain this lab environment" and "upstream Infrastructure team
> works with the hired system administrators to create a single CI
> system".
>
> If the actual proposal is for member companies to set up a CI system
> using the documentation and support our community already
> collectively provides to that end, I welcome their participation in
> and contributions to the existing third-party CI ecosystem. If the
> proposal is for integrating a hardware test environment into the
> upstream CI directly, having the Infra team responsible for its care
> and feeding and getting the OpenStack Foundation to dedicate staff
> to that end, then my concerns stand as stated.

The proposal is to have the hardware companies donate hardware and
sysadmins to setup and maintain a *single* third-party CI lab
environment running the *upstream infra CI toolset* in one datacenter at
first, moving to multiple datacenters eventually. This lab environment
would contain hardware that the vendors intend to ensure is functionally
tested in certain projects -- mostly Nova and Neutron around specialized
PCI devices and SR-IOV NICs that have zero chance of being tested
functionally in the cloudy gate CI environments.

The thing I am proposing the upstream Infra team members would be
responsible for is guiding/advising on the creation and installation of
the CI tools and helping to initially get the CI system reporting to the
upstream Jenkins/Zuul system. That's it. No long-term maintenance, no
long-term administration of the hardware in this lab environment. Just
advice and setup help.

The vendors would continue to be responsible for keeping the CI jobs
healthy and the lab environment up and running. It's just instead of 12
different external CI systems, there would be 1 spawning jobs on lots of
different types of hardware. I'm hoping that reducing the number of
external CI systems will enable the vendors to jointly improve the
quality of the tests because they will be able to focus on creating
tests instead of keeping 12 different CI systems up and running.

Hope that better explains the proposal.

Best,
-jay