[openstack-dev] [all] -1 due to line length violation in commit messages

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Sep 30 14:52:42 UTC 2015

On 29/09/15 12:05, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
>> On 25 Sep 2015, at 16:44, Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrachys at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> releases are approaching, so it’s the right time to start some bike shedding on the mailing list.
>>
>> Recently I got pointed out several times [1][2] that I violate our commit message requirement [3] for the message lines that says: "Subsequent lines should be wrapped at 72 characters.”
>>
>> I agree that very long commit message lines can be bad, f.e. if they are 200+ chars. But <= 79 chars?.. Don’t think so. Especially since we have 79 chars limit for the code.
>>
>> We had a check for the line lengths in openstack-dev/hacking before but it was killed [4] as per openstack-dev@ discussion [5].
>>
>> I believe commit message lines of <=80 chars are absolutely fine and should not get -1 treatment. I propose to raise the limit for the guideline on wiki accordingly.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> [1]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/224728/6//COMMIT_MSG
>> [2]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/227319/2//COMMIT_MSG
>> [3]: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/GitCommitMessages#Summary_of_Git_commit_message_structure
>> [4]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142585/
>> [5]: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-December/thread.html#52519
>>
>> Ihar
>
> Thanks everyone for replies.
>
> Now I realize WHY we do it with 72 chars and not 80 chars (git log output). :) I updated the wiki page with how to configure Vim to enforce the rule. I also removed the notion of gating on commit messages because we have them removed since recently.

Thanks Ihar! FWIW, vim has had built-in support for setting that width
since at least 7.2, and I suspect long before (for me it's in
/usr/share/vim/vim74/ftplugin/gitcommit.vim). AFAIK the only thing you
need in your .vimrc to take advantage is:

if has("autocmd")
   filetype plugin indent on
endif " has("autocmd")

This is included in the example vimrc file that ships with vim, so I
think better advice for 99% of people would be to just install the
example vimrc file if they don't already have a ~/.vimrc. (There are
*lots* of other benefits too.) I've updated the wiki to reflect that, I
hope you don't mind :)

It'd be great if anyone who didn't have it set up already could try this
though, since it's been many, many years since it has not worked
automagically for me ;)

cheers,
Zane.