[openstack-dev] [puppet] should puppet-neutron manage third party software?

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Fri Sep 25 16:02:47 UTC 2015

In our last meeting [1], we were discussing about whether managing or
not external packaging repositories for Neutron plugin dependencies.

Current situation:
puppet-neutron is installing (packages like neutron-plugin-*) &
configure Neutron plugins (configuration files like
/etc/neutron/plugins/*.ini
Some plugins (Cisco) are doing more: they install third party packages
(not part of OpenStack), from external repos.

The question is: should we continue that way and accept that kind of
patch [2]?

I vote for no: managing external packages & external repositories should
be up to an external more.
Example: my SDN tool is called "sdnmagic":
1/ patch puppet-neutron to manage neutron-plugin-sdnmagic package and
configure the .ini file(s) to make it work in Neutron
2/ create puppet-sdnmagic that will take care of everything else:
install sdnmagic, manage packaging (and specific dependencies),
repositories, etc.
I -1 puppet-neutron should handle it. We are not managing SDN soltution:
we are enabling puppet-neutron to work with them.

I would like to find a consensus here, that will be consistent across
*all plugins* without exception.

Thanks for your feedback,

[1] http://goo.gl/zehmN2
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/209997/