[openstack-dev] [tc] [watcher] New project: Watcher

gord chung gord at live.ca
Wed Oct 21 13:38:00 UTC 2015

hi,

seems like a neat idea, i had a few questions after watching the
presentation from Vancouver.

- is Watcher streaming the data captured by Ceilometer or is it querying
the Ceilometer db?
- is it utilising the Event data captured by Ceilometer or metric data?
both?
- i notice there's a tsdb used by Watcher. what TSDB is supported?
- is alarming functionality provided by Aodh used or is the 'machine
learning'+'orchestration' service meant to replace the functionality
provided by Aodh+Heat?

one reason i'm asking is that Ceilometer has a section in wiki to list
projects that leverage Ceilometer[1] so it's easy to track existing
extensions. feel free to add Watcher there if you feel like it.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Ceilometer#Ceilometer_Extensions

cheers,

On 21/10/2015 8:22 AM, Antoine CABOT wrote:
> We are pleased to introduce Watcher, a new project in the OpenStack
> ecosystem. We believe that a "resource optimization" service in an
> OpenStack-based cloud is a crucial component that has been missing to
> date and we have started working towards filling that gap.
>
> OpenStack Watcher provides a flexible and scalable resource
> optimization service for multi-tenant OpenStack-based clouds.
> Watcher provides a complete optimization loop—including everything
> from a metrics receiver, complex event processor and profiler,
> optimization processor and an action plan applier. This provides a
> robust framework to realize a wide range of cloud optimization goals,
> including the reduction of data center operating costs, increased
> system performance via intelligent virtual machine migration,
> increased energy efficiency—and more!
>
> Not only does Watcher provide several out-of-box optimization routines
> for immediate value-add, but it also supports a pluggable
> architecture by which custom optimization algorithms, data metrics and
> data profilers can be developed and inserted into the Watcher framework.
> Additionally, Watcher enables two different modes of execution—advise
> mode (manual) or active mode (automatic), giving cloud administrators
> the runtime flexibilities that their clouds require. Most importantly,
> administrators of OpenStack-based clouds equipped with Watcher will
> decrease their Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) by way of more efficient
> use of their infrastructure and less “hands on” (read: manual)
> administrator involvement to perform optimizations.
>
> More information, including key use cases, architecture, etc., are
> described on the project wiki [0].  Also feel free to browse some
> source code [1, 2].
>
> We meet weekly on Wednesdays at 16:00 UTC in the #openstack-meeting-3
> IRC channel. You can also use #openstack-watcher to contact the team.
>
> We hope to see you at our unconference session at the upcoming
> OpenStack Summit in Tokyo and we are welcoming participation from the
> community.  Let us know if you are interested in this topic and
> join us in #openstack-watcher!
>
> Regards,
>
> Antoine Cabot (Watcher PTL) (acabot)
> Susanne Balle (sballe)