[openstack-dev] [tc] [watcher] New project: Watcher

Antoine CABOT Antoine.CABOT at b-com.com
Wed Oct 21 12:22:39 UTC 2015

We are pleased to introduce Watcher, a new project in the OpenStack
ecosystem. We believe that a "resource optimization" service in an
OpenStack-based cloud is a crucial component that has been missing to
date and we have started working towards filling that gap.

OpenStack Watcher provides a flexible and scalable resource
optimization service for multi-tenant OpenStack-based clouds.
Watcher provides a complete optimization loop—including everything
from a metrics receiver, complex event processor and profiler,
optimization processor and an action plan applier. This provides a
robust framework to realize a wide range of cloud optimization goals,
including the reduction of data center operating costs, increased
system performance via intelligent virtual machine migration,
increased energy efficiency—and more!

Not only does Watcher provide several out-of-box optimization routines
for immediate value-add, but it also supports a pluggable
architecture by which custom optimization algorithms, data metrics and
data profilers can be developed and inserted into the Watcher framework.
Additionally, Watcher enables two different modes of execution—advise
mode (manual) or active mode (automatic), giving cloud administrators
the runtime flexibilities that their clouds require. Most importantly,
administrators of OpenStack-based clouds equipped with Watcher will
decrease their Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) by way of more efficient
use of their infrastructure and less “hands on” (read: manual)
administrator involvement to perform optimizations.

More information, including key use cases, architecture, etc., are
described on the project wiki [0].  Also feel free to browse some
source code [1, 2].

We meet weekly on Wednesdays at 16:00 UTC in the #openstack-meeting-3
IRC channel. You can also use #openstack-watcher to contact the team.

We hope to see you at our unconference session at the upcoming
OpenStack Summit in Tokyo and we are welcoming participation from the
community.  Let us know if you are interested in this topic and
join us in #openstack-watcher!

Regards,

Antoine Cabot (Watcher PTL) (acabot)
Susanne Balle (sballe)