[openstack-dev] [tc] [watcher] New project: Watcher

Antoine Cabot antoinecabot83 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 16:06:24 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 3:38 PM, gord chung <gord at live.ca> wrote:

> hi,

hi

> seems like a neat idea, i had a few questions after watching the
> presentation from Vancouver.

thanks for your interest in Watcher

> - is Watcher streaming the data captured by Ceilometer or is it querying
> the Ceilometer db?

Watcher can stream data captured by Ceilometer. Regarding the Ceilometer
db, we had performance issues when querying the database so we decided to
use streamed data instead.

> - is it utilising the Event data captured by Ceilometer or metric data?
> both?

actually watcher can do both as we capture the data stream

> - i notice there's a tsdb used by Watcher. what TSDB is supported?

today we are supporting InfluxDB and we plan to add OpenTSDB in the coming
months

> - is alarming functionality provided by Aodh used or is the 'machine
> learning'+'orchestration' service meant to replace the functionality
> provided by Aodh+Heat?

no we do not use this functionality today but we should definitely discuss
about it

> one reason i'm asking is that Ceilometer has a section in wiki to list
> projects that leverage Ceilometer[1] so it's easy to track existing
> extensions. feel free to add Watcher there if you feel like it.

I will do it, thank you

> [1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Ceilometer#Ceilometer_Extensions
>
> If you want to go deeper into Watcher architecture, feel free to join our
community meetup at 10:45am on tuesday [2]

> cheers,

cheers,

[2]  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Design_Summit/Mitaka/Etherpads