[openstack-dev] [all] [stable] No longer doing stable point releases

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 15:49:24 UTC 2015

On 06/17/2015 05:40 PM, Douglas Mendizábal wrote:
> I tend to agree with Thomas that plan D is not ideal.  For one, it
> prevents changes to the stable branch that span multiple CRs, since
> a two patch change would generate two tags and there would be no
> clear indication that the first patch should not be released on its
> own.

If we will end up with a half-broken product due to merging a patch
without another one, then those patches should be squashed. Also, I
wonder how they will pass gate if something is broken. Do you suggest
that test coverage is incomplete?

> My preference would be for "Plan C" where the PTL would push a new
> 2015.1.XXX tag when an important fix (or fixes) lands in a stable
> branch .
>
> I also disagree with Morgan that packagers are better informed to
> make the determination of when to release.  PTLs should be aware of
> all changes landing in the stable branches, and should be able to
> push a tag immediately after an important fix lands.  Asking the
> packagers to make the determination means that they would have to
> be aware of every patch landing in every project, which I think is
> a lot to ask.

I wouldn't expect e.g. neutron PTL to know every since patch in stable
branches. If anyone, you better put the burden onto corresponding
- -stable-maint team.