[openstack-dev] [all] [stable] No longer doing stable point releases

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jun 17 16:19:01 UTC 2015

Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> On 06/17/2015 05:40 PM, Douglas Mendizábal wrote:
>> I tend to agree with Thomas that plan D is not ideal.  For one, it
>> prevents changes to the stable branch that span multiple CRs, since
>> a two patch change would generate two tags and there would be no
>> clear indication that the first patch should not be released on its
>> own.
>
> If we will end up with a half-broken product due to merging a patch
> without another one, then those patches should be squashed. Also, I
> wonder how they will pass gate if something is broken. Do you suggest
> that test coverage is incomplete?

Also remember we are talking about *stable branches* here. The only
acceptable things there are bugfix backports and CVE fixes. So:

- there is no case of partially-merged features that span multiple CRs
- in the rare case of a bugfix needing multiple commits, those should be
squashed in the stable branch
- if the fix is so huge that it can't be merged as a single patch, it's
probably not desirable in the stable branch

The stable branch should always be usable and releaseable. If it's not,
you're doing it wrong.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)