[openstack-dev] [Nova] Non-priority Feature Freeze is Tomorrow (July 30th)

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Fri Jul 31 10:05:57 UTC 2015

On 30 July 2015 at 09:56, John Garbutt <john at johngarbutt.com> wrote:
> On 29 July 2015 at 19:20, John Garbutt <john at johngarbutt.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Tomorrow is: Non-priority Feature Freeze
>> What does this mean? Well...
>> * bug fixes: no impact, still free to merge
>> * priority features: no impact, still free to merge
>> * clean ups: sure we could merge those
>> * non-priority features (i.e. blueprints with a low priority), you are
>> no longer free to merge (we are free to re-approve previously approved
>> things, due to gate issues / merge issues, if needed)
>> Please note, the full Feature Freeze (and string freeze, etc), are
>> when we tag liberty-3, which is expected to be on or just after
>> September 1.
>> This is all about focusing on merging more Bug Fixes and more Priority
>> Features. For more details, please see:
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/Liberty_Release_Schedule#Why_is_there_a_non-priority_Feature_Freeze_in_Nova.3F
>> Its the same we did last release:
>> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-February/056208.html
>> Exceptions, I hear you cry? Lets follow a similar process as we did last time...
>> If you want an exception:
>> * please add request in here:
>>    https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/liberty-nova-non-priority-feature-freeze
>> * make sure you make your request before the end of Wednesday 6th August
>> * nova-drivers will meet to decide what gets an exception (as before)
>> * with the aim to merge the code for all exceptions by the end of
>> Monday 10th August
> I have added this detail into the wiki, as we refine the details:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/Liberty_Release_Schedule#Non-priority_Feature_Freeze
>> There are unlikely to be many exceptions given, its really just for
>> exceptional reasons why it didn't get merged in time.
>> The folks in the nova-meeting tomorrow may need to refine this
>> process, but if anything changes, we can send out an update to the ML.
>> Thanks,
>> johnthetubaguy
>> PS
>> Due to time constraints, its likely that it will be on Monday 3rd
>> August, that I will -2 all non-priority blueprint patches, and
>> un-approve all low priority blueprints, unless someone gets to that
>> first.
> Actually, I should be able to do this on Friday morning, as normal.
> Bad timing, but I am mostly away from my computer over the next few
> days, but I am watching email a bit. (Something that was booked before
> the release dates were announced)
> Note, I don't plan on blocking things that are just pending a merge.
> I will only block things that don't have two +2 votes on them.
> This should help us keep productive through the gate congestion/issues.
> Thanks,
> John

OK, so the gate and check queue are really not helping us here.

Lets move the deadline till midnight (lets say PST) Sunday 2nd August.

On Monday afternoon (in the UK sense), I will go through and defer low
priority blueprints that don't have a +2. We can wait a bit long to
get things merged, if we have to, as its the code review capacity we
are trying to optimise for here.

Hopefully that should help us get a few more things completed, in the
face of the gate issues.


Please do mark your blueprints as complete when the code merges, if
possible. That helps stop me guessing if it is complete or not.

More information about the OpenStack-dev mailing list