[openstack-dev] [Nova] Non-priority Feature Freeze is Tomorrow (July 30th)

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Thu Jul 30 08:56:53 UTC 2015

On 29 July 2015 at 19:20, John Garbutt <john at johngarbutt.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tomorrow is: Non-priority Feature Freeze
>
> What does this mean? Well...
>
> * bug fixes: no impact, still free to merge
> * priority features: no impact, still free to merge
> * clean ups: sure we could merge those
> * non-priority features (i.e. blueprints with a low priority), you are
> no longer free to merge (we are free to re-approve previously approved
> things, due to gate issues / merge issues, if needed)
>
> Please note, the full Feature Freeze (and string freeze, etc), are
> when we tag liberty-3, which is expected to be on or just after
> September 1.
>
> This is all about focusing on merging more Bug Fixes and more Priority
> Features. For more details, please see:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/Liberty_Release_Schedule#Why_is_there_a_non-priority_Feature_Freeze_in_Nova.3F
>
> Its the same we did last release:
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-February/056208.html
>
> Exceptions, I hear you cry? Lets follow a similar process as we did last time...
>
> If you want an exception:
> * please add request in here:
>    https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/liberty-nova-non-priority-feature-freeze
> * make sure you make your request before the end of Wednesday 6th August
> * nova-drivers will meet to decide what gets an exception (as before)
> * with the aim to merge the code for all exceptions by the end of
> Monday 10th August

I have added this detail into the wiki, as we refine the details:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/Liberty_Release_Schedule#Non-priority_Feature_Freeze

> There are unlikely to be many exceptions given, its really just for
> exceptional reasons why it didn't get merged in time.
>
> The folks in the nova-meeting tomorrow may need to refine this
> process, but if anything changes, we can send out an update to the ML.
>
> Thanks,
> johnthetubaguy
>
> PS
> Due to time constraints, its likely that it will be on Monday 3rd
> August, that I will -2 all non-priority blueprint patches, and
> un-approve all low priority blueprints, unless someone gets to that
> first.

Actually, I should be able to do this on Friday morning, as normal.
Bad timing, but I am mostly away from my computer over the next few
days, but I am watching email a bit. (Something that was booked before
the release dates were announced)

Note, I don't plan on blocking things that are just pending a merge.
I will only block things that don't have two +2 votes on them.
This should help us keep productive through the gate congestion/issues.

Thanks,
John