[openstack-dev] [puppet] adding puppet-rally to OpenStack

Andy Botting andy at andybotting.com
Thu Dec 24 01:16:02 UTC 2015

Hi Emilien,

> Emilien Macchi wrote:
> > I just noticed we have a second module written by Cody:
> > https://github.com/ody/puppet-rally
> >
> > We might want to collaborate on that.
> >
> Yeah...I'd actually completely forgotten that existed until Emilien
> mentioned it to me in IRC.
> It was my responsibility to deploy rally for our production cloud so I
> started down the road of building a rally module that I intended to ship
> upstream but things never panned out.  I pretty much ran cookiecutter
> and then added the openstack-rally package resource that was dependent
> on our internal RPM repository that contained a openstack-rally package
> I built myself because one existed no where else.  I never actually ran
> the module through Puppet.
> Since we were behind on deployment I put rally on the back burner until
> I had something fully functional in pre-production to start running
> rally against.  Plus, at that time we were pre-liberty release so no one
> was shipping an openstack-rally package which would have made putting
> the module I started into the upstream project difficult since it would
> be unusable and untestable.  So, instead I focussed on tying off some
> other internal things and my OpenStack time was spent working on already
> established Puppet OpenStack community items, reviews and CI.
> Now we are in December and Mitaka is in full swing, there are
> openstack-rally packages upstream in Mitaka repos, and our internal
> pre-production install is fully functional so...I am back to working on
> a rally deployment.  I am happy to collaborate on merging/just promoting
> one of these modules to upstream.  I do not have a preference for which
> one does become upstream; in their current state they probably both need
> a fresh run through cookiecutter and msync

As discussed on IRC, I've started a new puppet-rally module:


It's based on a fresh run of cookiecutter/msync and it's fairly complete.
There's a few tests in there, but they're failing due to not being able to
find an official rally package.

When I'm back at work in the new year, I'll be looking to switch our
production system over to this new module to test it.

Rally has a lot of config options, so I wrote a hacky script to pull all
the options from the default rally.conf file and use them in the module. It
makes the init.pp params pretty long. I thought an alternative could have
been to pass in a hash of override params, but I prefer it this way TBH.

Let me know what you think.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/attachments/20151224/11569593/attachment.html>

More information about the OpenStack-dev mailing list