[openstack-dev] [kolla][gnocchi] Source build dependency on postgresql-devel

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Sun Aug 16 18:58:52 UTC 2015

On Sun, Aug 16 2015, Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:

Hi Steven,

> In Kolla we are packaging gnocchi in a container. It has a dependency on
> pg_config as part of the build system. I’d like to know from a gnocchi expert
> if this build time dependency relies on postgresql configured in some way, or
> does it just look for standard library paths?

We rely on pg_config to find where PostgreSQL is installed to setup and
start postgres on our own in the tests setup script.

> The reason is we run each service as a micro-service meaning each binary runs
> in a separate container. If gnocchi relies on postgres configuration to do its
> build operation, it would mean we would have to run postgresql in our container
> at the same time as gnocchi. I have big concerns with that – less concerned
> about image size bloat (the case of just looking at library paths).

You don't need PostgreSQL to build Gnocchi (I'm not sure what build
means for Python). You just need it to run unit/integration tests and to
build the documentation – because the doc is built by making real
requests to a real server and printing the reply in the doc.

I hope it helps, but feel free to ask if not!

Best,
--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker