[openstack-dev] [kolla][gnocchi] Source build dependency on postgresql-devel

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Sun Aug 16 21:12:24 UTC 2015

On 8/16/15, 11:58 AM, "Julien Danjou" <julien at danjou.info> wrote:

>On Sun, Aug 16 2015, Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:
>
>Hi Steven,
>
>> In Kolla we are packaging gnocchi in a container. It has a dependency on
>> pg_config as part of the build system. I¹d like to know from a gnocchi
>>expert
>> if this build time dependency relies on postgresql configured in some
>>way, or
>> does it just look for standard library paths?
>
>We rely on pg_config to find where PostgreSQL is installed to setup and
>start postgres on our own in the tests setup script.
>
>> The reason is we run each service as a micro-service meaning each
>>binary runs
>> in a separate container. If gnocchi relies on postgres configuration to
>>do its
>> build operation, it would mean we would have to run postgresql in our
>>container
>> at the same time as gnocchi. I have big concerns with that ­ less
>>concerned
>> about image size bloat (the case of just looking at library paths).
>
>You don't need PostgreSQL to build Gnocchi (I'm not sure what build
>means for Python). You just need it to run unit/integration tests and to
>build the documentation ­ because the doc is built by making real
>requests to a real server and printing the reply in the doc.
>
>I hope it helps, but feel free to ask if not!
Julien,

Thanks for the answers, they do satisfy my need for information.  You do
need the postgresql-devel package to build gnocchi however, because a
dependency called panda (listed in requirements.txt, which is what we
build rather then installing from packages) depends upon it.

Hope that helps

Regards
-steve