[openstack-dev] [openstack][nova] Does anyone use Zookeeper, Memcache Nova ServiceGroup Driver ?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at outlook.com
Tue Apr 28 18:40:34 UTC 2015

Attila Fazekas wrote:
> How many compute nodes do you want to manage ?
>
> If it less than ~1000, you do not need to care.
> If you have more, just use SSD with good write IOPS value.
>
> Mysql actually can be fast with enough memory and good SSD.
> Even faster than [1].
>
> zk as technology is good, the current nova driver is not. Not recommended.
> The current mc driver does lot of tcp ping-pong for every node,
> it can be slower than the SQL.

Also something we noticed is that nova service disable only works on the
db driver, so that seems like another(?) inconsistency, maybe thats why
u say the current nova driver is not
(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/138607/ has some other interesting
'findings') good?

> IMHO At high compute node count you would face with scheduler latency issues
> sooner than sg driver issues. (It is not Log(N) :()

Agreed, both are issues that need to be worked on (simultaneously ftw).